Skip to main content

Evaluating Preliminary Task

 Evaluation: The preliminary task gave me the opportunity to improve my creative skills and expand my knowledge of photoshop/ photo editing.  It took longer than expected because I had to ensure that the color schemes fit my theme, the fonts depicted the feeling and message I wanted to convey, and that the pictures were placed in a way that would attract a wider audience. 

Layout: The layout of my cover magazine followed all the necessary conventions. I used this picture of my puppy because it portrays him as sweet and playful. He looked comfortable and happy and I thought it would attract more dog lovers. Placing him in the center was the best option for my magazine because it allowed me to place the cover lines around him without directly covering any part of that image. The masthead is dark green and right above the cover model. I chose green because the picture was taken outside and blends right in with the grass. Additionally, cover lines are placed on the left of the cover model, and one placed on the right of him. This made the magazine look less cluttered and created a sense of organization. On my contents page, I included three simple pictures on the left-hand side and made room for the text on the right-hand side. 

Text Styles: The preliminary task helped me understand just how crucial and effective fonts can be. It can create a completely different dynamic and feeling. I used the Abril Fatface font for my masthead because it is very bold and eye-catching. Additionally, this font also created a more serious feeling. I made this text dark green so that it became more recognizable and matched with the grass in the picture. Furthermore, I used Glacial indifference for each of my small body texts because they looked the most professional and suited well with different, bigger fonts. 

Photography: I purposely placed the image of my cover model in the center so that he could be the center of attention. I used the lighting from the sun and took an eye-level shot. On my contents page, I used a wide shot and two close-ups. Surprisingly taking these images wasn't that easy. I had to ensure that there was good enough lighting and that my dog was still enough for the picture. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative reflection #1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ho5waugj59d5bR2bYyObWLGxHpqWLr1U/view?usp=drivesdk Transcript: How does your product use or challenge conventions and how does it represent social groups or issues? So when I first started my um my product, I did do some research on what made a magazine and what were the necessary conventions I needed to use, um and I did find that I had to include a masthead, taglines, cover lines, um as well as have a cover model, color schemes and a barcode. Um, I did input these things into my magazine because I did want to make it look as realistic as possible. As for the social issues that were included um, my whole magazine is based off self-acceptance and I talked a lot about um the hardships that people have faced and what it took for them to finally accept and love themselves for who they were. Um, I think this is a really big issue today because you will meet a lot of teenagers who are not happy with themselves, um whether that be their physical vessel or the

Interview Questions

1. What do you identify as and what is your sexuality?   2. Have you come out to your family? If so, how did you feel and what was your experience like? 3. Have you ever felt anxious to publicly display your relationship due to negative reactions from others? 4. Have you ever been discriminated against because of your gender or sexuality?  5. What was the most difficult part of embodying who you truly are?  6.  Do you have any advice for those that are struggling with coming out or embracing their authentic self? 

Magazine Research

Magazines have been around as early as the late sixteenth hundreds and early seventeenth hundreds. According to "Magazine Publishing", the earliest magazine was published in 1663-68 by Johann Rist, a theologian in Hamburg, Germany. Soon after his publication, more periodicals were being released in France, England, and Europe. However, the first published magazine in America took place in 1741. Many magazines that were released to the public were restricted because of censorship. In the nineteenth century, periodical topics varied from improvement, family entertainment, enlightenment, and amusement. Additionally, the first magazines in the United States that included illustrations consisted of Leslie's Weekly and Harper's Weekly in 1855-1922. Women were a big part of the consumer culture when it came to magazines. Helen Gordon Lazareff released a women's magazine that had an impact on the way many women thought, spoke and perceived themselves. With time, new magaz